End of Year Expectations- Year 2
The table below provides an overview for parents and carers on the end of year expectations for children at our school.
Meeting these objectives will help your child to make good progress as they move through the school. All the objectives will be worked on throughout the year and will be the focus of direct teaching.
Any extra support you can provide in helping your children to achieve these is valued greatly.
- Use phonic knowledge to read age-appropriate texts.
- Decode words of two or more syllables.
- Share favourite words and phrases from their own reading.
- Make inferences based on what has been said and done (e.g.: about a how a character might be feeling and why).
- Make predictions about what might happen next based on what has already happened.
- Recognise simple recurring literary language.
- Can recite some poems by heart.
- Comment on plot, setting & characters in familiar & unfamiliar stories.
- Retell a story, including all main events.
- Read aloud with expression and intonation, using punctuation and reading ahead.
- Use content and index to locate information.
- Use exciting adjectives for colour and size.
- Use simple adverbs for manner (e.g.: quickly and quietly).
- Re-read own writing clearly to an adult.
- Use expanded noun phrases to add description (e.g.: the dark, stormy night).
- Write using subordination (when, if, that, because) and co-ordination (or, and, but). •Use present tense & past tense correctly.
- Write different kinds of sentence: statement, question, exclamation, command.
- Write with correct use of: capital letters, full stops, question marks, exclamation marks.
- Use commas in a list.
- Use apostrophes for contractions (e.g.: can’t, didn’t) and singular possession (e.g. Jane’s book).
- Size lower case and capital letters correctly relative to one another.
- Use diagonal and horizontal strokes to join handwriting.
- Compare/order numbers up to 100 and use < > =.
- Read & write numbers to 100 in digits & words.
- Say 10 more/less than any number to 100.
- Count in steps of 2,3&5 from zero and in 10s from any number (forwards and backwards).
- Recall and use multiplication & division facts for 2, 5 & 10 tables.
- Recall and use +/-facts to 20 (e.g. 13+4 = 17).
- Derive +/-facts to 100 (e.g.: 60 + 40 = 100).
- Add & subtract:
- 2-digit numbers & ones(e.g.: 53 + 5)
- 2-digit numbers & tens (e.g.: 53 + 40)
- Two 2-digit numbers (e.g.: 53 + 24)
- Three 1-digit numbers (e.g. 5 + 3 + 4)
- Calculate and write multiplication & division calculations using known multiplication tables (e.g. 7 x 5 = 35).
- Recognise, find, name and write 1/2, 1/3; 1/4; 2/4; 3/4of a length, set of objects or quantity.
- Tell the time to the nearest five minutes, including quarter past/to.
- Find different combinations of coins that equal the same amounts of money.